monitoring unreachable hosts

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Wed Jul 8 19:26:07 CEST 2009

Frost, Mark {PBG} wrote:

> [...]

Hmmm ....

OK, well couldn't you just remove the check_command for those hosts?

 From the "define host" docs:

"check_command: 	This directive is used to specify the short name of the
command that should be used to check if the host is up or down.
Typically, this command would try and ping the host to see if it is
"alive". ... If you leave this argument blank, the host will not be
actively checked. Thus, Nagios will likely always assume the host is up
(it may show up as being in a "PENDING" state in the web interface).
This is useful if you are monitoring printers or other devices that are
frequently turned off. ..."

DR