hostgroups causing hairloss

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Wed Jul 8 18:15:08 CEST 2009

I am at a point that I am looking for gremlins, no other cause can be found.

I am replacing a very old Nagios install with Nagios 3.0.6, no
importing, a fresh install, new hardware, a network audit and entering
all hosts and services manually. It seems that no matter what I do I
keep getting some hosts added to a host group, even though I clearly did
not define them as part of the host group.

My hostgroups.cfg,
define hostgroup {
         hostgroup_name  AUTH_DNS
         alias           Authoritative DNS
         members         CDC-Ns1auth,CDC-NSMS,IDC-Ns2auth,SDC-Ns3auth
         }

define hostgroup {
         hostgroup_name  CACHE_DNS
         alias           Caching DNS
         members         CDC-Dnscache,CDC-Ns1,IDC-Ns2,SDC-Ns3
         }

My hosts/CDC-Ns1auth.cfg,
define host {
         host_name                       CDC-Ns1auth
         alias                           ns1auth.tls.net
         display_name                    TLS DNS server
         address                         65.124.104.30
         parents                         null
         hostgroups                      null
         check_command                   check-host-alive
         use                             generic-host
         initial_state                   o
         max_check_attempts              3
         check_interval                  15
         retry_interval                  1
         check_period                    24x7
         process_perf_data               1
         retain_status_information       1
         contact_groups                  host-oncall
         notification_interval           15
         notification_period             24x7
         notification_options            d,u,r
         register                        1
         }

Everything looks fine, but when I start Nagios and look at View
Config->Object Type->Host Groups, I see this!

Group Name	Description	        Host Members
CACHE_DNS	Caching DNS service 	CDC-Dnscache , CDC-Ns1 , CDC-Ns1auth ,
IDC-Ns2 , IDC-Ns2auth , SDC-Ns3 , SDC-Ns3auth

The CACHE_DNS host group should only contain CDC-Ns1, IDC-Ns2, and
SDC-Ns3. Why are the other hosts in there? I have tried renaming, I have
tried starting fresh with new config files, new retention data, new
object cache. Yet the hostgroup CACHE_DNS still contains hosts I did not
define to be there.

Any help is appreciated, clues, clue bats, links, (yes I looked at the
change log and searched for an answer, no luck).

Thanks,

DAve

--
"Posterity, you will know how much it cost the present generation to
preserve your freedom.  I hope you will make good use of it.  If you

http://appleseedinfo.org