monitoring unreachable hosts

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Jul 8 18:29:45 CEST 2009

On Jul 8, 2009, at 10:43 AM, Frost, Mark {PBG} wrote:

> So I was thinking of making the host check command
> identical to the service check command.  The end result being that if
> the service is up, the host will also show up, if the service is down,
> the host will also show down.  Still weird, but at least kind of
> conceptually correct.

Yes, that's one approach that leads to a somewhat correct indication.

>  However,  what if I've disabled notfications on the host itself?
> That is, I really only
> ever want service alerts -- no host alerts.  In the case of a normal
> set
> of host/service checks, Nagios will notice that the host is down,
> suppress alerts about all the services being down and send out only a
> "host is down" alert.
>
> In the scenario where the host and service checks are the same and the
> host notifications are disabled, wouldn't a service alert be
> suppressed
> and I'd never hear about an issue on this host?

Yes, if you've disabled notifications for the host.

> I tried earlier to disable all checking of the host in this case and
> that gives me a host unreachable alert when the service goes down.
> That
> makes sense since the host can't be checked, but I don't want it going
> into that bogus state.

To get an unreachable state, a parent for this host would have had to
return a non-OK result. If you don't want that, find out why the
parent returned a non-OK state or remove the parents definition.

> What would probably be ideal is if Nagios had some way of marking a
> host
> as being irrelevanet.  That is, the service would sort of stand alone
> without any host dependency in terms of monitoring.  Kind of strange,
> though.

90% of my hosts are like this. No parents, no check_command and
check_period none. Most of what I monitor are routers, that I only
care about pinging. I have a ping service and no checks of the host at
all. Notifications only come for the service.

--
Marc