a special http check

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Tue Jul 7 18:34:10 CEST 2009

shadih rahman wrote:
> All,
>    I need to do a special kind of http check to see if our authentication
> service is working or not.   These are the sequence of event need to take
> place.
>
> I need to hit the url https://myserver.com/login
> then I need do additional query  service=myservice
> then I need to additinal query to validattion url
> https://myserver.com/validate
> here I will add additional query with my username and password.
> then I want to check the http response and search for the string "yes"
>

> Can this be done using check_http or do I need a custom check?  Please
> advise on this.  Thanks

I'm currently doing a login check using check_http, but it's a much
simpler, single-step check.  It basically just checks that we can
successfully login with a special nagios username and password by
checking for the presence of the word "Logout" on the resulting page.
(That word only appears if the login is successful.)

define service {
         service_description     portal login
         use                     our-service
         servicegroups           http-services
         host_name               our-host
         check_command           check_http!-S!-s Logout!-u
'/portal/j_spring_security_check?j_username=$USER3$&j_password=$USER4$'
         _ADDL_DETAIL            This service verifies that we can log
in to the portal (via:  if the login is successful then the string
Logout will be found on the page)
}

Perhaps you might be to accomplish what you want using only check_http
by breaking this up into several different service checks.  i.e.: 1)
check that you can log in successfully, 2) check that you can (login
and) hit the service=myservice page, etc.

HTH,

DR