Monitor for memory bottleneck on Windows?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Jul 6 13:41:38 CEST 2009

Tore Lønøy wrote:
> Hello naguis usergroup!
>
> I have for some time now tried to find a way to monitor performance
> bottlenecks related to shortage of memory on Windows, with no luck. As far
> my knowlegde of memory bottlenecks concern, using NSClient++ command
> CheckMem and argument physical, is far from enough. Also, monitoring windows
> performance counters, like Memory \ Pages Out/sec is no good either since it
> doesn't support average results.
>
> There is alot of documentation on how to determine that memory is a
> bottleneck, like e.g.: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555223
>
> But, for what I understand, using nagios to determine this is hard.
>
> So how do you guys locate memory bottlenecks on windows machines, with or
> without the help of nagios?

By checking the swap usage. Basically, when a system starts swapping
performance will go downhill very, very fast. The disk is several hundred
orders of magnitude slower than the RAM. If you have high swap usage, you
should buy more RAM for your servers (or modify whatever programs are
running on them).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.