Simplified Nagios user interface for end users/help desk

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Wed Jul 1 16:33:26 CEST 2009

Adam Forsyth wrote:
> I'm monitoring lots of different services on various hosts with
> Nagios.  Many of these things are very useful for me to monitor as the
> sys admin, but when alerts occur occur with them, they do not
> represent downtime for our users, they represent problems I should fix
> proactively before they result in user noticeable downtime.  For
> example, if Nagios notices a fan failure on one of my Procurve
> switches, I as the admin want to know about the problem, and probably
> want to replace the failing fan during the next scheduled maintenance
> time.  The switch is still running just fine, however and there is no
> effect on service to users.  Currently when I get such a notification,
> I'd acknowledge the problem, and it would stay in critical state until
> I've fixed the problem.
>
> What I'd like to create is a more end user targeted display of Nagios
> data.  It would display OK or Alert status based only on whether the
> particular service is up or down from the user perspective, and
> wouldn't show any of the proactive nice for the sys admin to know
> about details.  So in the case of the procurve switch, as long as the
> fan failure hasn't made the entire switch crash (we can still ping it)
> it would remain in an OK state.
>
> The only way I can think of to accomplish this would be to make a
> second installation of nagios.  It would be a lot of duplicate
> configuration, but many of the services would be left out.  I think
> that would create this second end user display as I'm imagining it,
> but it would come at the expense of having to maintain 2 sets of
> configuration files, and the server would have to do duplicate
> checking of lots of the services and hosts.
>
> Can anyone think of a better way to accomplish this that wouldn't need
> to involve duplication of checks?

We have installed two of these for clients with Nagios in their
networks. The best way we found, YMMV, was to use NagioSL. We wrote a
flash app to poll NagioSL for devices to display on a pretty
non-threatening map. We then wrote a new alert script that updates the
flash map with any alerts/recoveries.

It's rough around the edges but it works.

DAve

--
"Posterity, you will know how much it cost the present generation to
preserve your freedom.  I hope you will make good use of it.  If you

http://appleseedinfo.org