How to surpess notifications if ping fails.

Jon Angliss jon at netdork.net
Wed Jul 1 05:06:45 CEST 2009

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 14:57:19 -0700, Jeremiah Jester
<jeremiahjester at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a working nagios2 installation under Ubuntu.  I would like to
>configure nagios so that when a host cannot be ping'd by nagios all other
>services related to this server/s are stopped so I don't get a slew of
>notifications for that host.
>
>I'm thinking i want servicedepency directive in my dependecies.cfg file?
>Does this sound about right?
>

>define servicedependency{
>    hostgroup_name                       servers
>    service_description             ping
>    dependent_hostgroup_name        servers
>    dependent_service_description   *
>    execution_failure_criteria      w,c
>    notification_failure_criteria   w,u,c
>}

Yes, that's one way to do it, though over-complicating it.  The other
is to actually have ping (usually defined as check-host-alive) as the
host check, when the host is unreachable, the notifications for the
services will not be sent.

Nagios3 would also be a good idea for an upgrade (something I believe
ubuntu has as a package already) as the host checks are much better in
v3.
--
Jonathan Angliss
<jon at netdork.net>