SNMP monitoring of a Dell switch: snmpwalk succeds but check_snmp fails.

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 19:06:02 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Max <perldork at webwizarddesign.com> wrote:

Thanks for the detailed comments Max!

> The OID that maps to ifOperStatus from RFC1213-MIB is 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8
>
> So grep for
>
> 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8.1

No luck. No such string in there.

> if the interface you want to look at is indeed at index 1 :).

Ah! Now I am lost! What do you mean by this. Sorry I am a networks newbiee
and especially SNMP is greek-n-latin to me!

Actually I am not even sure what I should be monitoring on a switch. I was
just using the example from the nagios tutorial for now. Maybe its
"alive/dead status" ; bandwidth of individual ports (but that's mrtg's job
right?) ; dropped packets; some thermal events? How does one go about this?
What are other users montoring on their switches and how does one go about
translating the fairly cryptic SNMP fields into something usable? Should I
dig into my Dell switch manuals? Or is this reinventing the wheel and Nagios
has an automated way to achieve this already?

> If you are just running this for one port on one switch, then loading
> the MIB is no biggie, if you plan to monitor hundreds or thousands of
> ports, would be better to use the numeric form of the OID and run an
> ePN plugin using the perl Net::SNMP or NSNMP library or a plugin that
> implements the C Net-SNMP libraries directly

The maximum I'll end up monitoring is perhaps 4 switches with 48 ports each.
So from your stats this should be on the fairly low side.

--
Rahul