Nagios 3.1.0 - Update check feature

Allan Clark allanc at chickenandporn.com
Thu Jan 29 19:38:40 CET 2009

Hi;
Hammering a website by referring to it on a constantly-reloading page can
generate a lot of unnecessary traffic.

If Nagios' DNS held a TXT record indicating the latest released version in a
given trend, then it can be checked in a way that is much gentler -- a DNS
RR is cached automatically by the DNS servers used, depending on how
Nagios.org defines the RR.

An "update check" can simply compare the current revision versus the latest,
and respond with the standard Nagios WARN/FAIL responses as desired by the
users.

The end result is a flagged event that can be detected, reported, and
escalated just like any other event.

This seems to leverage existing support structures yet pose zero additional
load to the nagios website, very little additional load on a decentralized
and very scalable resource.  Failures in Nagios' website, if such happened,
would not affect this sort of check.  Response time would typically be quite
fast.

FYC

If you're interested, I can flesh this out as a working model.

Allan

allanc at chickenandporn.com  "金鱼" http://linkedin.com/in/goldfish
please, no proprietary attachments (http://tinyurl.com/cbgq)