check_snmp: monitor a process

Chris atstake at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 23:19:13 CET 2009

I want to monitor the process ID of portsentry (a program I'm running
in one of my Linux servers) via SNMP. If I do snmpwalk -c <foo> -v1
server | grep
"portsentry" I get: HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrSWRunPath.30605 = STRING:
"/usr/local/psionic/portsentry/portsentry" where 30605 is the process
ID and which will change every time the process gets restarted or the
server gets rebooted.

How do I monitor if this process is running via my Nagios server's
check_snmp plugin? My nagios version is 3.0.6 and check_snmp version
is 2021.

Thanks.