Ways and tweaks to make nagios more efficient. load average on monitoring host edging up.

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 21:21:44 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Marc Powell <marc at ena.com> wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, what is the magnitude of the 'edging upwards'
> that you are seeing?

Its not bad right now .But the trend is what I am wary about. My load
factors are around 3.  But I am still planning on adding more hosts and
services and I thought it best to investigate early on if I was doing things
efficiently before it came to a critical point.

> Just about any hardware released in the past 5
> years or so should have no problems with that number of checks at all
> if they're 'normal' (base nagios-plugins) and run at a normal interval
> (5 min). Even older hardware could probably do it. What are they types
> of checks you are performing? How often?

Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz dual core. 2 GB RAM
Its about 5 years old now I think.

Checks I have are:

check_ssh
check_ping

NRPE
check_nrpe!check_load
check_nrpe!check_total_procs
check_nrpe!check_disk
check_nrpe!check_disk_scratch
check_nrpe!check_pbsmom
check_nrpe!check_time_node

Are they perl checks and do
> you have the embedded perl interpreter (ePN) enabled?

I don't think I have that enabled. It is disabled by default I think at
compile-time.

--
Rahul