Ways and tweaks to make nagios more efficient. load average on monitoring host edging up.

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 19:15:01 CET 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 5:58 PM, Jake <jakepaulus at gmail.com> wrote:

> I use ping as both a service check and a host check because i want to ping
> all of the time to measure latency, etc. I wouldn't think so much about
> eliminating service checks that aren't directly redundant as much as making
> sure the checks you do are as fast as possible.

Thanks Jake! I'll heed the advice. I wasn't sure about what are the parts
best worth tackling to gain efficiency.

> Specifically, look for any service check that takes longer than a second.

Is there a place where it logs how long a service check too? How do you
usually find out? I can only see when it was last checked on my interface
but not how long it took.

> Also make sure your timeouts are set low as this can easily be a source for
> high load averages - e.g. if you consider 500ms latency on the ping service
> to be critical then why not set your timeout value to one or two seconds
> instead of 10 (which is the default for check_ping).

Is "*service_check_timeout=60" in the main config file the timeout that you
are talking about? I might be mistaking what you mean.*

Shouldn't this matter only for the nodes that *do* have a latency problem
alone? I hope these will remain a minor fraction. But the major chunk will
be the ones that respond within the timeout but still a *lot* of work. How
does it work out that the timeout made such a huge difference for you?