debug notifications

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Jan 28 16:22:54 CET 2009

On Jan 28, 2009, at 5:24 AM, Nicolas LAURANCE wrote:

> hello all,
>
> I'm using nagios 2.11 on fedora
>
> I think I configured correctly (but obviously not) the notification
> for the host, service and contacts
>
> in the web interface Notifications : ENABLED

Is this the global setting or the one specific to the host or service?
They can be different.

> however notifications never trigger
>
> I configured to have notifications logged, but I don't see any in
> the log
>

> Is there a way to track more precisely the notification filter
> process to find out where they are discarded ?

Nagios doesn't believe it's supposed to send notifications. Either the
notification_options for the host/service or contact don't include the
notification type you are trying to send, their notification period
doesn't include the time they're trying to be sent or the host/service
isn't reaching a HARD state are the three most likely reasons. If you
want another pair of eyes to help verify, you'll need to post those
parts of the config (host/service definition, contactgroup definition,
contact definition, timeperiod definition, nagios.log entries related
to the host/service your troubleshooting, etc).

You could also take a peek at objects.cache (how nagios interpreted
the config files) and status.dat (current information about hosts/
services including changes made via the CGI's) and verify that they
are how you expect them to be.

Pretty much your only other option, if you're sure these settings are
correct, is to enable debug mode. With nagios-2.x, that means a
recompile, passing one or more of the following flags to ./configure --

--enable-DEBUG0 shows function entry and exit
--enable-DEBUG1 shows general info messages
--enable-DEBUG2 shows warning messages
--enable-DEBUG3 shows scheduled events (service and host checks... etc)
--enable-DEBUG4 shows service and host notifications
--enable-DEBUG5 shows SQL queries
--enable-DEBUGALL shows all debugging messages

--
Marc