nagios server connected with multiple connections

jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com
Mon Jan 26 14:55:50 CET 2009

Folkert van Heusden <folkert at vanheusden.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>With our nagios server we check webservers. Now we are connected via 2
>connections to the internet. Is it somehow possible to automatically use
>the other connection if the check fails via the first? That in case the
>first one goes down.

This is more of a function of how your local network is designed.  Assuming
the primary internet connection is up and indeed working, but for some
reason you can't reach your webserver via that connection, your Nagios
server must be able to reach the webservers via some alternate IP address.
Then you would have two different service checks and make one the parent of
the other.  That's just one example.  Another example is have your Nagios
server on two different IP addresses, one IP address from the primary
provider and the other from the second provider.  You could setup a second
check_ping service, for example, to use a the secondary IP as the source
address and if your network is setup to allow it, that second check would
route out the second connection.  Or if you have glabally routable IP
addresses and you are connected via each provider using BGP, you could have
a source-based ACL on your router for that second IP address to forcing
routing of it across the second connection.  Of course, you wouldn't have
much of a way to control how that traffic comes back.

In the case the primary internet connection actually goes down (which
should trigger some kind of Nagios alert), hopefully your routers are setup
to automatically fail over to the second connection.

James