Server planning for Nagios install

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Mon Jan 26 01:40:59 CET 2009

Hi Eric,

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Eric Michaelis <combinare at gmail.com> wrote:
> I apologize in advance if this is a well-worn question, but I've spent a
> day searching Google, the FAQs, the mailing list archives, and every
> book I can find on Nagios. I'm trying to answer a simple question: are
> there any guidelines for sizing the server that Nagios will be running on?
>
> I realize that each installation will be different based on the number
> of hosts/services that will be monitored, but I'm looking for something
> basic--something along the lines of "a base system with 512MB of RAM and
> 10G disk space is a good starting point for monitoring X hosts running Y
> services, with a total of X*Y = Z services. Then, assume you need
> another N GB of ram for every M services you add."

Jakes' advice is good :), I have been wanting to figure out how to
make a sizing formula, but I think that is quite a difficult thing to
come up with.

When I was first sizing a server, I used the user profiles feature on
nagios.org fo get a good idea of sizing by reading about other
peoples' installations:

http://www.nagios.org/userprofiles/search.php?search=1

- Max