nagios service flapping

Andy Shellam andy-lists at networkmail.eu
Sat Jan 24 10:35:19 CET 2009

Rahul,

Look through your Nagios logs or run an availability report on one of
the services for the time the flapping was happening.  This report will
list what the output was at the time it went from an OK to CRITICAL (or
WARNING) and vice versa - it should give you a pointer to the root cause.

At first guess, and as you've identified the common factor to be NRPE,
I'd be looking at the network between your Nagios machine and the NRPE
client/s, or possibly even the NRPE service on the client/s.

Andy