re-execute an event handler just in case the service stays DOWN

Ludse Verhoeven ludse.verhoeven at vopak.com
Thu Jan 22 18:05:00 CET 2009

Maybe the "is_volatile" option is something for you (see:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/volatileservices.html)

Met vriendelijke groet/with kind regards,
          Ludse Verhoeven

AIX System Engineer
T: +31 10 400 2440
F: +31 10 400 2891
E: ludse.verhoeven at vopak.com

Vopak Information Services B.V.
Trade Register (or local equivalent): 24146892
Visit Address: Westerlaan 10, 3016 CK Rotterdam
Postal Address: P.O. Box 863, 3000 AW  Rotterdam
The Netherlands
http://www.vopak.com

A Royal Vopak company

Marc Haber <mh+nagios-users at zugschlus.de>
22/01/2009 16:17

nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
cc

Subject
[Nagios-users] re-execute an event handler just in case the service stays
DOWN

Hi,

I would like one event handler to be re-executed just in case it
failed for the first time. The docs
(http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/eventhandlers.html) say "you
don't want that", but I am fairly confident that I want it in this case.

I have a nagios host in a unattended site which generally gets its
internet access from the site network. In case of a site network
failure, the host needs to dial in to the Internet via modem to be
reachable for debugging purposes.

The nagios installation monitors a host on the Internet and has an
event handler connected with this host which will initiate the dial-up
when the "Internet host" goes into a HARD DOWN state.

I would like this event handler to be re-executed in case the dial-up
connection doesn't come up or goes down _before_ nagios has detected
that the "Internet host" is UP again.

Is there any way to accomplish this or am I better of with a cronjob
which will initiate the dial-up from outside nagios?

Any hints will be appreciated.,

Greetings
Marc

Marc Haber         | "I don't trust Computers. They | Mailadresse im
Header
Mannheim, Germany  |  lose things."    Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 621
72739834
Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 3221
2323190

reporting any issue.