Recommended Plugin for Monitoring iptables

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Thu Jan 22 15:00:54 CET 2009

Hi Marc --

Thanks for your reply. I downloaded the script, and I am currently testing it.

I had to make one modification within the script: The -S argument is not known
by the version, 1.3.8, of iptables on the server in question, so I replaced it
with the -L argument.

One question to all members who have used the script: Is the script designed to
run in the background, or is it simply invoked by Nagios and then closed when it
is done running? The reason I ask is I am manually running it, and it does not
immediately close. Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Marc Powell [mailto:marc at ena.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:05 PM
To: nagios-users Mailinglist
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Recommended Plugin for Monitoring iptables

On Jan 20, 2009, at 3:00 PM, Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:

> Hi there --
>
> Thanks for your reply. I simply want to ensure that 'iptables -vnL'
> comes back with output indicating that firewall rules are in effect.

I don't use it but the first hit on google looks promising...

http://www.google.com/search?q=nagios+check_iptables

"The script does not (and can not) detect "stupid" rules. It's purpose
is to ensure that iptables and the configured rules (whatever they may
be) are loaded.

It is useful to identify situations such as:
- forgetting to start iptables at boot
- stopping iptables for testing and forgetting to restart
- etc

Normal condition is where all tables have 1 or more rules.
Critical condition is when a table (any table) has 0 rules. "

::: Please include Nagios version, plugin version (-v) and OS when reporting any
issue.

dispose of the e-mail.