Nagios compatibility

Tue Jan 20 14:29:15 CET 2009

Andy Shellam wrote:

>> My recommendation: throw out the nagios you did (just keep the files
>> in the /usr/local/nagios/etc directory), and instead find nagios as
>> an already-compiled RPM. There really is very little reason to ever
>> run your own compiled software except to learn. On a production
>> server, it is outright dangerous to do so because you won't get any
>> software updates.
>>
> For the record, I disagree with this statement.  Compiling your own
> software means you can get updates as quick as they come out from the
> people who write it.  Sure you have to keep on top of the updates
> yourself, but that's where a tool such as www.update-scout.com comes
> in extremely handy.
In theory, that may be true, and for some people this does matter.

In practical terms, though, more often than not, the opposite happens:
somebody downloads the source code, throws it on a shared drive, writes
a howto and everybody recompiles off these versions no matter how stale
they are. I used to work for a company in 2003 that ran RedHat 7.0 (a
1990s version of RH). Because it didn't include Postgres, they compiled
Postgres from source - by the time I started there, those sources were
two years old. And they ran a major telephone exchange and billing
system off that setup. My boss would have thrown a fit if I had proposed
to install a newer version of Postgres, because that would have meant
having to re-test the whole application. At least, with an RPM, the
vendor would do most of the testing for us.

And also let's not forget the complexity of the upgrade process itself.
Upgrading an RPM takes a few seconds - especially when you are using
automatic updates. Recompiling? Maybe half an hour if you are good.
> In my experience package repositories (such as those used by Debian's
> "apt-get") are not well maintained - for example the OpenSSL version
> currently in there is 0.9.8c which was released in September 2006.
> There have been 6 security advisories since.  Similarly the Apache2
> package is version 2.2.3 - I'm running 2.2.11 now.
Actually, I think this is an advantage rather than a drawback, for most
users (you may well have specific needs, and of course I can't tell you
what's right for you!) For most software, the bleeding edge is also
where the bleeding is happening ;-) There is a reason the enterprise
Linux versions (SuSE, RedHat) have release cycles of 3 years, and the
open versions have release cycles of 18 months or so.

Vendors will backport security patches, but quite honestly I would
rather have a stable system than one that needs to be recompiled on a
near daily basis - especially for production use. My openSUSE 10.3
server currently has 757 RPMs installed. With recompiling modules as
they come out, configuration management would become a nightmare. On a
weekly basis, I'd have to ask: why isn't my software working any more,
and which of the 17 modules recompiled yesterday is responsible? No
thanks. I want to leave the compatibility testing to the vendor. My
Nagios server (on openSUSE 11.0) is still using 3.0.3. I'm sure I could
easily find the 3.0.6 RPMs if there was a compelling reason for it. But
so far, I don't see it.

If I really do need a newer version than the vendor has - I can usually
find it precompiled as an RPM. As a SUSE guy, I usually find it on
opensuse.org. I'm usually very reluctant to do this because it cuts me
off from the vendor's update cycle, but sometimes I really have no
choice. Fortunately, I've only had to do it for four or five RPMs.
> Compiling your own software also allows you to add in extra features
> that the packagers didn't deem necessary, and gives you more control
> over the build.
Granted. I actually have found one single situation where this benefit
would have made a difference; one RPM has a bug (the openSUSE developers
forgot to support Kerberos in saslauthd). It's exceedingly rare, at
least for me - and in this case, the impact was small enough, so
recompiling still doesn't

YMMV, of course.

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.