Nagios compatibility

Khairuzzamri k_zamri at kannal.com.my
Tue Jan 20 06:48:39 CET 2009

Thanks Kevin for the reply,

Kevin Keane wrote:

> You are looking at two completely separate issues. chkconfig doesn't
> have much to do with nagios; it is a Redhat specific file.
>
> chkconfig doesn't care about nagios.cfg. It will install any
> service/daemon. What it is looking for is a shell script in, I believe,
> /etc/init.d. This shell script must accept the arguments "start" and
> "stop" (and should also accept a few other ones). So what the error
> message is telling you is "there is no shell script /etc/init.d/nagios".
>
> This shell script - you probably need to write it yourself - is
> responsible for actually starting nagios. It is also a Redhat-specific
> one. On SUSE, the shell script will look similar but be subtly different.
>
> Nagios won't work until you get this running, so it is not really
> surprising that you can't log in right now.
>
> My recommendation: throw out the nagios you did (just keep the files in
> the /usr/local/nagios/etc directory), and instead find nagios as an
> already-compiled RPM. There really is very little reason to ever run
> your own compiled software except to learn. On a production server, it
> is outright dangerous to do so because you won't get any software updates.

I think maybe I'm skipping the make install-init step that made the service
cannot be run.

As your suggestion to remove my existing nagios, is it correct to remove the
nagios by deleting
every nagios directory in my machine?

(I'm using nagios-3.0.3.tar.gz and  nagios-plugins-1.4.12.tar.gz installer)

Thanks & regards,

Zamri,