VNC port : connection refused

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 19 15:45:25 CET 2009

Anirudh Srinivasan wrote:
> The nagios web interface shows critical message for VNC port 5900 :
> connection refused message.The plugin that is used is
> check_tcp!5900. I am not able to confirm whether its a firewall
> problem . But when i do telnet ipaddress 5900 i get connection refused
> message . please help me .
The VNC Service is simply stopped/down. You simply need to restart the
service.

For the record check_tcp is a pretty weak test of last resort. I know
from experience there have been times when check_tcp returns OK, the
port is open, but vnc is wedged in a way that you cannot actually use it
to retrieve the screen. You may want to check out the check_vnc plugin I
wrote, it is freely available here:

http://www.nagiosexchange.org/cgi-bin/page.cgi?g=Detailed%2F1558.html;d=1

or just search at NagiosExchange.org, it is the only vnc plugin there.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon
Always open to interesting opportunities