Notifications to unknown user for services with disabled notify

Markus Schreier mdschreier at gmx.de
Fri Jan 16 15:47:10 CET 2009

Hello Marc,
thanks for your reply.
yes you are wright. My notify-commands are put in as event-handler for all hosts and all services. I will just remove the event_handler line. I also set event_handler_enabled to 0 and all should be fine.

Again, thank you

best regards,
Markus

I put in a host and a service definition, just to be complete:
define  host {
        host_name                       hostname.domain.de
        alias                           Serviceportal VIP
        address                         x.y.z
        parents                         kp-sp-proxy
        check_command                   check_http_proxy_ping
        max_check_attempts              3
        active_checks_enabled           1
        passive_checks_enabled          0
        check_period                    24x7
        obsess_over_host                1
        check_freshness                 1
        event_handler                   notify-host-by-email
        event_handler_enabled           1
        flap_detection_enabled          1
        failure_prediction_enabled      1
        process_perf_data               0
        retain_status_information       1
        retain_nonstatus_information    1
        contact_groups                  nagios-admins,ServiceCenter,ziv-admins
        notification_interval           60
        notification_period             arbeitszeitrufbereit
        notification_options            d,u,r,f
        notifications_enabled           1
        register                        1
        }

define  service {
        host_name                       hostname.domain.de
        service_description             Serviceportal Login VIP
        servicegroups                   webbased
        is_volatile                     0
        check_command                   check_serviceplattform!serviceplattform_eprtlogin.conf
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            2
        active_checks_enabled           1
        passive_checks_enabled          0
        check_period                    24x7
        parallelize_check               1
        obsess_over_service             1
        check_freshness                 0
        event_handler                   notify-service-by-email
        event_handler_enabled           1
        flap_detection_enabled          1
        failure_prediction_enabled      1
        process_perf_data               1
        retain_status_information       1
        retain_nonstatus_information    1
        contact_groups                  nagios-admins,ServiceCenter,ziv-admins
        notification_interval           60
        notification_period             arbeitszeitrufbereit
        notification_options            w,u,c,r,f
        notifications_enabled           1
        register                        1
        }

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 07:21:28 -0600
> Von: Marc Powell <marc at ena.com>
> Betreff: Re: [Nagios-users] Notifications to unknown user for services with	disabled notify

> On Jan 16, 2009, at 3:46 AM, Markus Schreier wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > i'm new to the list even though i'm not new to nagios. I've taken
> > over an installation on an ubuntu -linux  and made local emails (to
> > root or to nagios) being forwarded to some administration account.
> > This made me realize some enormous email-traffic:
>
> Hello and welcome. =)
>

> > My nagios-service sends notify-mails to the Mailadresse "$" on the
> > local host.  This happens even for services with disabled
> > notifications.
> > Host and service-notifications are affected.
>

> > Why are there notifications being send if disabled for this service?
> > Where does the mailadress $ come from?
>
> A complete example host and service definition would be helpful. My
> guess is that you have your notification commands specified as an
> event_handler.
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.network.nagios.user/58877
>
> --
> Marc

> reporting any issue.

Sensationsangebot verlängert: GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 16,37 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K1308T4569a