check_dhcp seems not working

jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com
Fri Jan 16 15:41:07 CET 2009

Christian Iñiguez <challenger_joseph at yahoo.com.mx>  wrote:

>Thank you.
>
>But I have neither firewall nor SELinux enabled. In deed for a moment
worked, but a couple of hours later it didn't work again.

>It's really weird.

Have you checked your DHCP logs?  Do you have enough leases available in
the subnet you would expect the Nagios server to be offered an address
from?  If your DHCP server doesn't hand out DHCP addresses to other
machines on that network (the same your Nagios server is on), for the ISC
DHCP daemon to even work, you still must define a subnet on that local
network in the DHCP config, even if you only have one DHCP address
available.

This isn't really a Nagios problem, but a problem with check_dhcp.  It
sounds like the plugin is setup with the appropriate permissions (owned by
root, setuid root, etc) and that there are no inbound/outbound firewalls or
SELinux issues to deal with.

Honestly, unless there is a configuration problem with DHCP, I can't think
of anything else.

James