Notifications to unknown user for services with disabled notify

Markus Schreier mdschreier at gmx.de
Fri Jan 16 10:46:16 CET 2009

Hello all,

i'm new to the list even though i'm not new to nagios. I've taken over an installation on an ubuntu -linux  and made local emails (to root or to nagios) being forwarded to some administration account. This made me realize some enormous email-traffic:

My nagios-service sends notify-mails to the Mailadresse "$" on the local host.  This happens even for services with disabled notifications.
Host and service-notifications are affected.

All configured contacts have mailadresses and get notified as configured. At least i did not see anything else.

I've updated from nagios 3.0.3 to nagios 3.0.6 to get rid of this nasty behavior. But the problem still exists.

The following contacts are configured:
ServiceCenter, governikusadmins, mschreier , nagiosadmin, neumann, nowatzki, owinkelmann, reiher, reuleke, thegovadm
All contacts have mailaddresses.

And the following contact-groups:

ServiceCenter:     neumann , reuleke , ServiceCenter
governikus-admins: governikusadmins
iuk: owinkelmann , reiher
nagios-admins: mschreier
ocs-admins: nowatzki
ziv-admins: thegovadm

The problem happens with at least 8 different Services.
Most of them have passive checks enabled, one is an active check. - This does not seem relevant.
I've the impression, notifications to $ are only send out, in notification-disabled state.
Most of the services have notifications disabled. One has notifications enabled but the service-time is disabling notifications on night time.

My notify-by-email command looks like this:
notify-service-by-email     /bin/sh $USER1$/service_notification.template | /usr/bin/mail -s "$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Service Alert: $SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$ on $HOSTALIAS$" $CONTACTEMAIL$

notify-host-by-email     /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTALIAS$ ($HOSTNAME$)\nState: $HOSTSTATE$ (vorher $LASTHOSTSTATE$)\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n" | /usr/bin/mail -s "$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Host Alert: $HOSTALIAS$ ($HOSTDISPLAYNAME$) is $HOSTSTATE$" $CONTACTEMAIL$

Why are there notifications being send if disabled for this service?
Where does the mailadress $ come from?

thanks in advance,

Markus

@list-moderator: I've posted a similar email yesterday, but my account was not ready jet. Sorry for being impatient.