Problem with check_smtp plugin

jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com
Fri Jan 16 01:23:47 CET 2009

"Kaplan, Andrew H." <AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG>  wrote:

>Hi there --

>I recently installed Kyle O'Donnell's HP-UX plugins onto a system running
HP-UX 11i v1. All plugins that are in use
>appear to be running fine with one exception: check_smtp reports and
invalid hostname/address.

>I checked the arguments associated with the plugin and I manually ran the
following combinations:

>./check_smtp -H <hostname>
>./check_smtp -H <FQDN>
>./check_smtp -H <IP Address>
>./check_smtp --hostname=<hostname>
>./check_smtp --hostname=<FQDN>
>./check_smtp --hostname=<IP Address>

>None of the above combinations worked. Does anyone have a solution to this
problem? Thanks.

I personally don't know anything about the plugin package you mention, but
have you tried using/installing the official Nagios plugins available at:
http://www.nagios.org/download/download.php

check_smtp works just fine:  check_smtp -H <host_name>

I assume you've tried running the plugin by itself vs. running it through
Nagios?  If the plugin by itself is throwing errors, you might want to
contact Kyle.

James