Change Nagios email 'from' field

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Jan 12 19:00:06 CET 2009

On Jan 12, 2009, at 11:15 AM, ChrisSerafin wrote:

> I have Nagios 3..0.1 running on Ubuntu 8.04 and would like to change
> the
> 'from' field when receiving emails. Currently I get one email from
> 'nagios at ubuntu-nagios' which is not a real email address at all. I
> would
> like to use 'support at xyz.com' so that clients can respond to our
> support
> team with a simple reply-all email.

Nagios doesn't control this. It's a function of the mail program you
are using to send the messages (mail, mailx, sendmail, whatever).
Check the manpage for the program you are using to see if it can do
it. If not, this FAQ might be  useful --

http://www.nagios.org/faqs/viewfaq.php?faq_id=338

> Also, I have multiple emails sent
> when one alert goes out and I only see myself as the TO: field, which
> means that each alert email is being sent individually and not in one
> single email. Is there any way to change that as well?

No, each e-mail is sent individually. It's _much_ easier to do that
programatically on a per-contact basis than trying to figure out all
the people that should receive the notification and hope that the
mailer can support it. Is this a problem for you? You could use role
addresses within nagios and manage those groupings externally...

--
Marc