check_ping stuck on 'PENDING'

ibloodyhatespam at gmail.com ibloodyhatespam at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 23:48:56 CET 2009

As per the subject... Nagios 3.0.6 and it happens both to lan and external
servers.

Temporarily disabling the firewall has no effect. Manually forcing a check
update results in the 'service check scheduled for' notification being
bumped to current time + 5 mins, no actual check and the check status
perpetually remains "PENDING".

The odd thing is that the default host check is also ping, and that one
seems to work perfectly for nine hosts.

Manually running check_ping as the nagios user also gives a normal result
(PING OK etc), albeit after about half a second.

I run all kinds of checks on said hosts (ssh, ide_ smart, disk_smb, http,
imap etc), both directly and through NRPE, and except for check_ping on all
hosts, they work fine.

As ping's a very basic check and as far as I can see everything should work
normally, right now I'm stumped. Any idea what's going on here?

Kind regards,

Michiel