Servicegroups bug?

Matthew Shanker mshanker at usgs.gov
Fri Jan 9 19:50:29 CET 2009

I'm running Nagios 3.0.5 and I'm having some inconsistent behaviour with
servicegroups. If I use the following:

define service {
  use                   important-service

  hostgroup_name        linux-servers,linux-desktops,!legacy-systems
  service_description   NFS
  check_command         check_nfs_by_ssh
  servicegroups         file-shares
}

Then the servicegroup file-shares does not show up in my web interface.
However if instead of using hostgroups to define the service I create a
service entry for each host in those groups like the following:

define service {
  use                   important-service

  host_name             agds1
  service_description   NFS
  check_command         check_nfs_by_ssh
  servicegroups         file-shares
}

then the servicegroup appears in the web interface with all of the hosts
in it. I just don't why there should be a difference between these two
approaches. Obviously I would prefer to use the first method so I do not
need to maintain a a service entry for each host.

Matt