downtime large number of hosts?

Jayson Broughton jbroughton at truecos.com
Fri Jan 9 16:12:18 CET 2009

We have some linux servers here that peg-out on CPU/Mem when they are doing
a full backup, so I have used the wonderful 'Nagios External Command List'
website to custom tailor my alert notifications for hosts/hostgroups every
day during a certain time.  Specifically the DISABLE_HOST_SVC_NOTIFICATIONS
and DISABLE_HOST_SVC_CHECKS.  Then when it's time to re-monitor, a crontab
entry runs: ENABLE_HOST_SVC_NOTIFICATIONS & ENABLE_HOST_SVC_CHECKS.

Check out those 4 options on:
http://www.nagios.org/developerinfo/externalcommands/commandlist.php

The examples give you an excellent base script to work off of.

~Jayson