Could not complete ssl handshake

Jayson Broughton jbroughton at truecos.com
Fri Jan 9 16:04:19 CET 2009

Harry,

There are afew thing you can check that cause this problem.

1.       Check versions of the nrpe on both the server and the client

2.       Did you install check_nrpe from source or rpm?  You might want to
check if one is compiled with ssl support and the other isn't compiled for
SSL support (I had that problem, server was compiled for SSL and listening
for SSL connections, client wasn't)

3.       I know with RHEL (what we use here) you have to set up the SELinux
permissions to allow the port through, along with editing the
/etc/xinetd.d/nrpe file and send a hup to xinetd so it can talk to the
server/client.  Here's a copy of my xinetd file in /etc/xinetd.d/

a.       # default: on

b.      # description: NRPE (Nagios Remote Plugin Executor)

c.       service nrpe

d.      {

e.              flags           = REUSE

f.                socket_type     = stream

g.               port            = 5666

h.              wait            = no

i.                 user            = nagios

j.                group           = nagios

k.               server          = /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe

l.                 server_args     = -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg
--inetd

m.            log_on_failure  += USERID

n.              disable         = no

o.              only_from       = NAGIOS.SERVER.IP.ADDRESS

p.      }

4.       Try running a higher debug on the server and manually run
check_nrpe from the server to the client, check logs.

Hope this helps!

~Jayson Broughton