nagios and check_snmp

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Thu Jan 8 19:20:46 CET 2009

On Jan 8, 2009, at 4:40 AM, Marc Powell wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2009, at 9:28 PM, Chris St. Pierre wrote:
>
>> You'd have to track the rate of change in ifInOctets
>> if you wanted to get bits per second, and that'd be a much more
>> complicated plugin.
>
> For the OP, plugins that do this are available on nagiosexchange.org.

Or use MRTG. While this would be another piece of software to set up,
this is exactly what it is designed for. You can either set it up to
alert itself, or (as I am doing) use one of the nagios plugins that
checks the mrtg log files. The benifit of doing things this way is
that you get the nice pretty MRTG graphs (not that you couldn't jigger
nagios to produce them as well, but I don't know how hard that would
be), while keeping a single point of monitoring/alerting.

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.
5245 Airport Industrial Rd