Migrating from Nagios 2.0b4 to Nagios 3.03

Robert Yeo r.yeo at utah.edu
Thu Jan 8 16:55:59 CET 2009

I am actually having a very similar problem.

We had a power failure that lasted longer then our UPSs could take on Dec
24th.  Nagios went down and when it came back up, some services have not
been checked since.  It is not everything... just a select few.

After a round of troubleshooting I decided to narrow down what was not
getting check so I moved retention.dat and made a clean spool directory as
well.  Now I have about 40 services out of 308 stuck in pending.

This is an example config for one of the services.

# 'check_nrpe' command definition
define command {
    command_name     check_nrpe
    command_line    $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$ -u
}'

define service{
    hostgroup_name            Nmw_Servers,Wi_Servers
    host_name
!Nmw_104_010_Finearts_Dataserver,!Nmw_104_020_Nagios,Dgh_000_012_FairUse,Art
_104_014_FilmServer,!Nmw_104_092_Nagios3

    service_description        Check CPU Load
    use                        medium-high-priority-service
    check_command              check_nrpe!check_load
    }

define service{
        name                            medium-high-priority-service
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              5
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            2
         contact_groups                 nagiosadmin
        notification_options            c,r,f
        notification_interval           180
        notification_period             extendedworkhours
        register                        0
        }

define service{
        name                            generic-service
        active_checks_enabled           1
        passive_checks_enabled          1
        parallelize_check               1
        obsess_over_service             0
        check_freshness                 0
        notifications_enabled           1
        event_handler_enabled           1
        flap_detection_enabled          1
        failure_prediction_enabled      1
        process_perf_data               1
        retain_status_information       1
        retain_nonstatus_information    1
        is_volatile                     0
        register                        0
        }

Nagios 3.0.6 on 10.4.11 OSX.

Check CPU Load is returning fine from some boxes, others it is not.  It
always returns correctly from the command line.  I have tried manually
forcing a check from the cgis with debug turned on (-1, high verbosity) and
it never even shows up in the debug log as an attempt.

Robert Yeo