Notifications not working [was: Re: '$' symbol being appended to command_line?]

Alexis Hazell alexis.hazell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 11:48:35 CET 2009

On 22:56:13 Tue 06-Jan-09, Marc Powell wrote:
> Does your mail log on the nagios host show the message
> being received and then sent further on?

i created a wrapper shell script around esmtp to allow me to call
it with the -X option, which allows one to log all mail traffic to
a file. Running the contents of command_line manually whilst su'd to
user 'nagios' works, with the log file containing the expected traffic
info. But when command_line is called by nagios itself as part of
the notification process, the log file is empty (and despite the '-v'
[i.e. verbose] option being used in the wrapper script).

i then moved on to trying to get notifications via IM - specifically
XMPP - using freetalk. This results in the same problem: the contents
of command_line work fine when run manually whilst su'd to nagios,
but don't when run as part of the notification process. And again,
i can confirm that command_line is being called, because:

    command_line    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification
Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n\nService: $SERVICEDESC$\nHost:
$HOSTALIAS$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nState: $SERVICESTATE$\n\nDate/Time:
$LONGDATETIME$\n\nAdditional Info:\n\n$SERVICEOUTPUT$" | cat >
/var/log/nagios/output.txt

results the notification process creating output.txt at the desired
location, containing the correct information.

Any suggestions as to what's going on here would be very much
appreciated!

Alexis.