Setting up NRPE on HP UX

asam30 at gmail.com asam30 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 06:42:05 CET 2009

Hi,

The installation of nrpe on most Unices is pretty easy and outlined in the
README of the source code tarball. Once the nrpe is installed or binraies
downloaded from http://www.bennyvision.com/projects/nagios/index.php or
nagiosexchange site, you need to follow these things

The common way is to have nrpe started by inetd.

Add a line like this to your service:

# grep nrpe /etc/services
nrpe        5666/tcp                 # Nagios Remote Plug-in Executor

Then configure your inetd similar to this.
Make sure that the paths to the nrpe binary and nrpe.cfg file are correct
and make a choice under what user nrpe should be run.

# grep nrpe /etc/inetd.conf
nrpe    stream tcp nowait nagios /usr/local/nagios/libexec/nrpe nrpe -c
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/nrpe.cfg -i

If all looks correct make inetd reload its conf.

# /usr/sbin/inetd -c

and check that it registered the new service

# tail /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log

# netstat -an -f inet|grep LISTEN|grep 5666

The most configuration part involves adapting nrpe.cfg to your needs and
checks that work on hpux.

You can start trying with some of the more common ones like

$ /opt/iexpress/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 127.0.0.1 -c check_total_procs
PROCS CRITICAL: 369 processes

hope this helps

-Shankar

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 10:43 PM, Christian Iñiguez <
challenger_joseph at yahoo.com.mx> wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> I have 2 machines with Unix HP UX, and I'd like to monitoring
> them installing nrpe, but I haven't found documentation or how to's about
> it.
>
> On Linux plataform is working very well, but it's a kind of difficult to do
> it on UNIX (HP UX)
>
> Does any body know how can perform this?
>
> Thanks in advance
>

>      ¡Todo sobre Amor y Sexo!
> La guía completa para tu vida en Mujer de Hoy.
> http://mx.mujer.yahoo.com/

> reporting any issue.

Shankar Asam