Critical - Socket Timeout After 10 Seconds

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Tue Jan 6 19:50:04 CET 2009

On 06-Jan-2009, at 13:43 , Frank M wrote:

> I am running Nagios 3.0.6 with Nagios Plugins 1.4.13 on Suse Linux
> 11.1.  Windows servers have NSClient++ 0.2.7
>
> Every few minutes Nagios detects that a servers/service is down
> because it times out and in the status information shows: Critical -
> Socket Timeout After 10 Seconds.  Once it redoes its check on those
> particular servers/services it shows that it is all good and other
> servers/services show "Critical - Socket Timeout After 10 Seconds".
> I looked for a place to change the timeout from 10 seconds to 20 but
> could not find one.  Any help would be appreciated.

The timeout may be coming from the plugin rather than nagios itself.
For example, I occasional see check_by_ssh time out if packet loss
gets a bit high, or if there's a DNS issue somewhere.  In that case,
the timeout is set as part of the command line, and I've modified my
check commands accordingly so that I can tune it:

define command {
     command_name    check_disk_remote
     command_line    $USER1$/check_by_ssh -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -t $USER4$ -
C "$USER1$/check_disk -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ -p $ARG3$"
}

The '-t' on check_by_ssh alters its timeout value.

Check the help for the plugins which you see reporting timeouts to see
if you can tweak their timeout values.

HTH,
   Matt