Email priority

Paul Weaver paul.weaver at bbc.co.uk
Tue Jan 6 15:43:52 CET 2009

> Is there a way to define in Nagios to send email alerts with
> high or low priority notification?  Several of our users want
> to be able to set their Blackberries to alert them a
> different way if a high priority email comes in, rather than
> just a regular email.
>
> Layne Meier
> Atlanta Journal-Constitution
> A Cox Newspaper

Yes, you need to change the outgoing mail command. If you are using the
default "mail" command, add a new entry to commands.cfg which is the
same, but has

printf .....|mail -a "Priority: Urgent" -a "Importance: high" -a
Instead of
printf .....|mail -s subject contact

As to what the blackberry does with an urgent email, that's another
matter.

If you use a different mailing system (mailx for example), you need to
add the Priority headers.
--
Paul Weaver
Systems Development Engineer