Return code of 141 is out of bounds - SMTP Monitor

jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com
Tue Jan 6 05:48:11 CET 2009

First, the syntax of the check_command should be:

check_smtp!25!60

And for that to work, the entry in your checkcommands.cfg would look like:

# 'check_smtp' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_smtp
        command_line    $USER1$/check_smtp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p $ARG1$ -t
$ARG2$
        }

James Moseley

             Duane Hill
             <d.hill at yournetpl
             us.com>                                                    To
                                       Nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
             01/05/2009 10:31                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       [Nagios-users] Return code of 141
             Please respond to         is out of bounds - SMTP Monitor
             d.hill at yournetplu
                   s.com

Every once in a while I will get a critical alert stating:

     Notification Type: PROBLEM

     Service: SMTP
     Host: Secondary Spam Filter
     Address: 192.168.1.50
     State: CRITICAL

     Date/Time: Tue Jan 6 00:43:01 UTC 2009

     Additional Info:

     (Return code of 141 is out of bounds)

I have the SMTP service defined as such:

     define service {           ; smtp port 25
         use                    ynp-services-duane
         host_name              sec_spam_filt
         service_description    SMTP
         check_command          check_smtp!-p 25 -t 60
     }

I've checked list archives and have not found anything that closely
resembles the issue at hand.

What should I be looking for to correct this? Perhaps this is a FreeBSD
port issue that needs to be reported to the port maintainer.

Nagios version is v3.0.5 running on FreeBSD v6.3.

-d

reporting any issue.