Monitoring Hosts without use plugins

Jon Angliss jon at netdork.net
Fri Jan 2 07:09:37 CET 2009

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 09:05:02 -0500, Sean McAfee
<smcafee at collaborativefusion.com> wrote:

>Hugo Canalli wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I need to monitor to see if hosts are UP or DOWN, but my hosts are
>> network devices that can not be installed any plugin for nagios as the
>> NCSA.
>> What we need is that the nagios track every time and let a message
>> (sends a message by email or cell phone) if the host is down (without
>> using any type of plugin for the device monitored. On the server
>> management can be installed plugins nagios if necessary.)
>> Do it possible with nagios?
>>
>> Version used: 3.0.6 nagios
>>
>> --
>> -t-
>The only difference between host and service checks are that host checks
>are not schedule and are only execed when a service check fails.  In the
>end, generic-host-alive will still be using check_ping.

Are you sure this is still the case?  I'm pretty sure 3.x does host
checks on a scheduled basis now.  At least I'm seeing pings to all my
hosts every minute.  I believe that theory might have been correct for
2.x, but from what I have read the same does not apply for 3.x (see 17
in the what's new for v3).

--
Jon Angliss