Nagios still sending alerts for deleted host

Fritsch, Kurt Kurt.Fritsch at housing.wisc.edu
Thu Feb 26 22:25:22 CET 2009

Sorry for the newbie question, I have inherited what was a working Nagios setup that I am now in charge of.  Most of my experience in making changes has been through the Fruity interface, but I do have some knowledge on where all the configuration files are stored and what they do.

I have 2 distinct problems as of late:

1.       I deleted a host entry for a piece of equipment that is no longer in service and now Nagios continuously sends problem alerts for it.  I've searched through the config files (using Linux vi editor) to find any reference to this host and can't find anything.  The host doesn't show up anywhere on Nagios' list of devices so I can't acknowledge the alert or anything.  If I try to acknowledge the alert by clicking on the link in the alert email it gives me an error saying I'm not authorized to commit the specified command.  I have re-uploaded the config files and restarted the Nagios process multiple times.  Where is Nagios pulling this from?

2.       Around the same time, I noticed that acknowledging alerts in general no longer works for any hosts.  If a host or service goes down, it doesn't matter if I acknowledge the service problem, disable notifications or even schedule downtime, Nagios continues to flood my inbox with alert emails.  It allows me to acknowledge the issue, doesn't give me any error messages, and even sends me a problem acknowledged email, but then the problem alerts just keep on coming.

I've googled these issues without success, so hopefully someone can offer some insight.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks,
Kurt Fritsch
ResNet Manager
Division of University Housing