Service check on DOWN hosts!!!

Toussaint OTTAVI t.ottavi at medi.fr
Thu Feb 26 17:50:15 CET 2009

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest a écrit:
> On 23/02/09 10:43 AM, Sergio Ariel wrote:
>> My problem is that when these host are DOWN, Nagios wait 30 seconds
>> trying to execute the service check. After this 30 seconds, then tell me
>>    "CRITICAL SERVICE". I want to avoid Nagios checks any service in DOWN
>> host
> Nagios doesn't send any service notification for down host.

But the Nagios WEB console still displays FAILED or UNKNOWN status for
individual service cheks. You have to filter out all the results by
hand, to see what are the 'source' problems (ie, a router down) and what
are just 'cascaded' problems (lots of failed service checks due to
unreachability of hosts located over the router). These 'cascaded'
results are generating unuseful 'noise' which complicates the overall
reading of the console. IMHO, in such a situation, what the Nagios
console displays is inaccurate.

> If that's not enough use an eventhandler to disable active services checks

It's still not enough :-) Service checks scheduled before the event
handler triggers will still display inaccurate 'FAILED' status.

Any idea to go further is welcome. Kind regards,
--

*Toussaint OTTAVI*
*MEDI INFORMATIQUE*