nagios 3.0.6 with high service check latency when ePN is enabled?

fancyrabbit fancyrabbit at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 17:06:19 CET 2009

hi all,
    i have a nagios 3.0.6 system monitoring 1000+ services and its load
average is always more than 8.
because most of my service check plugin are written in perl, I tried to
enable ePN.
everything looks ok at first, the load average was brought down to about 3
or 4.
but then i noticed that the average service check latency is very large,
even more than 300 seconds
while my service check period is 1 minute. I tried to tweak the
use_large_installation_tweak/check_result_reaper_frequency/
max_check_result_reaper_time/max_concurrent_checks, even tried to test
various values of service_inter_check_delay_method
but the service check latency still ran very high after several hours. I
also tried to turn on and off perlcache when ./configure
and it was also useless. host check latency is also very high, and I think
it has nothing to do with the perl interpreter ... which I felt very strange
about.
but when I accidentally turned off the embedded perl interpreter, the
latency value went back to less than 5 seconds ... and the host check
latency
was less than 1sec. everything is ok now except my server's load average ...
   I googled the web and read the nagios document(tried almost all the
methods in Tuning Nagios For Maximum Performance chapter...) but haven't
found the reason and solution yet. is that something wrong with my
configuration file or is that a bug of 3.0.6 version? hope someone can help
me.
   best wishes to you all,

fancyrabbit
Feb 27 2009