General tcp_check question

Jakob Curdes jc at info-systems.de
Thu Feb 26 14:56:22 CET 2009

> CRITICAL - Socket timeout after 60 seconds
>  I suspect that it is an firewall issue at that site so I wanted to
> know that what is underlying command of tcp_check and how can I allow
> or disallow tcp_check command to run on my system if I am the system
> administrator on that system.
Well, unfortaunately it is not so easy. If you get a timeout this just
means that in the 60 seconds nothing came back. Probably there is some
network obstacle in between, but we occasionally observe that also with
loaded servers that just take longer to respond. The fact that nothing
came back tells you just that - it is hard to conclude WHY nothing came
back.

What nagios does is essentially

telnet host portnumber

You can do this by hand, e.g. telnet site2 9002 - if you get a repsonse
at all (empty window), you have a connection to that port. If telnet
hangs for a long time and then closes, you have the case that nagios
sees: nothing comes back and after some time you get a network timeout.
If it closes immediately this probably means that nothing is listening
at that port; although even this answer can come from a firewall.

HTH.,

Jakob Curdes