1st post to the group, basic q ... I think

Lee Azzarello lee at dropio.com
Tue Feb 24 17:45:29 CET 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 11:10 PM, Lance Raymond
<lraymond at weatherflow.com> wrote:

> I tried a few things after the _v1 but nagios kept failing on restart, so I
> think I just need to figure out howto push the variables (such as hostIP ,
> community name) to the check_command, right?  Since changing the service to
> use the new command, nagios is now red with the following error; Return code
> of 255 is out of bounds

There are good docs on how to pass arguments to a check command.
Here's my pattern to bring new service checks online without mucking
about with the running nagios process:

1) Find the plugin on the host running nagios
2) Run the plugin manually as the nagios user with the arguments you
would like. Inspect the output. Is it what you expect?
3) If it is what you expect, compose the check command and service
definition exactly as your manual run, only use macro substitution as
per the documentation
4) Save your configs and check them before loading the new objects.
nagios -v nagios.cfg will automate this check and inform you that
everything is okay before you "go live".
5) If everything's okay, reload the configuration and check the web
interface for the new service check status.

-lee