graphing trends across hosts or services instead of a timeseries

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Tue Feb 24 10:17:13 CET 2009

2009/2/23 Rahul Nabar <rpnabar at gmail.com>:

> Thanks for the pointer. I just looked up ddraw and it does look promising.
> Do you think you can share some of your ddraw configs with me? Or maybe if
> you had any other notes.

No problem.  Note that I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server and have
installed Nagios and PNP as far as possible according to the online
instructions (nothing fancy).

I installed drraw.cgi and drraw.conf under /var/www/cgi-bin/ .  Not
sure if that's ideal but it works for me.

Most of drraw.conf stays "as is" as far as I remember, except the following:

  # The Test area /var/www/drraw/data is just for my playpen.  The
Live area /usr/local/nagios/share/perfdata is where the PNP .rrd files
are.
  # drraw will look recursively under these directories.
  %datadirs = ('/var/www/drraw/data'  => '[Test] ',
               '/usr/local/nagios/share/perfdata' => '[Live] ',
              );

  # make sure these exist and are writeable by the apache (www-data in
my case) user.
  $saved_dir = '/usr/local/drraw/saved';
  $tmp_dir = '/usr/local/drraw/tmp';

  # If you don't care for authentication, set the following to 2.
  # I've set this to 2 while I get it working, will tighten it down later.
  %users = ( 'guest' => 2 );

  # This is to enable a patch I found in the drraw mailing list.  I
couldn't get it to work so disable it for now.
  # pnp4nagios XML
  $use_pnp4nagios_xml = 0;

I also edited /etc/apache2/sites-available/default to enable the
cgi-bin directory for cgi execution:

        ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /var/www/cgi-bin/
        <Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
                AllowOverride None
                Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
                Order allow,deny
                Allow from all
        </Directory>

I had to install some dependencies, I forget which ones, but I'm
pretty sure librrds-perl was one of them.

The web interface for drraw is fairly intuitive, except it took me a
few minutes to notice that in order to save a graph, you need to
specify a Graph Title in the Graph Options section!

hth,

Jim