1st post to the group, basic q ... I think

Patrick Morris patrick.morris at hp.com
Tue Feb 24 02:26:02 CET 2009

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009, Lance Raymond wrote:

> so far the install, etc. went easy there are some good doc's there.
>
> I am still  understanding the groups, etc. but so far I have the server
> and 2 remote hosts setup.  The load check isn't really to good, so I
> downloaded the perl one using snmp and from the command line works
> great, see this example;
>
> [root at ws6 libexec]# perl ./check_snmp_load.pl -H ipadd -C community -w
> 3,3,2 -c 4,4,3 -T netsl
> Load : 5.55 5.04 4.87 : 5.55 > 4 : CRITICAL 5.04 > 4 : CRITICAL 4.87 > 3
> : CRITICAL
>
> I added the following to the commands.cfg file;
>
> define command{
>    command_name check_snmp_load_v1
>    command_line $USER1$/check_snmp_load.pl -H $HOSTADDRESS$ $USER7$ -T
> $ARG1$ -w $ARG2$ -c $ARG3$ $ARG4$
> }
>
> on the target machine I put;
>
> define service{
>         use                             local-service         ; Name of
> service template to use
>         host_name                       servername
>         service_description             Current Load via SNMP
>         check_command
> check_local_load!5.0,4.0,3.0!10.0,6.0,4.0
>         }
>
> I restarted nagios, saw the new line in the details, but the values are
> showing as;
> OK - load average: 0.10, 0.06, 0.01
>
> I did have a shell opened testing the local script at the same time and
> the load is still around 5.

Your service says to use check_local_load. How is that defined? My guess
is that it's not giving you values for the machine you want to check --
it's probably telling you the load for your Nagios box.

Assuming you want to use check_snmp_load_v1, that's the check command
you should be using in your service definition.