Nagios configuration for SAN monitoring

York, Bill, DoIT Bill.York at state.nm.us
Mon Feb 23 21:13:25 CET 2009

Hi,

recently got these working and I'll tell you what I've learned.

i don't know if it's a bug in the brocade snmp implementation, but getsnmp and check_brocade_port both report an admin down port, even when the port is admin up and the cable is unplugged. this is a problem to me, but i just set up alarms for a WARNING.

i use cacti for RRD monitoring. i found PNP too cumbersome.

this command is different from the check_ping as it does not use the IP stack for availability. you have to set this up as a service and monitor accordingly. unfortunately, monitoring a FC SAN is much different from monitoring an Ethernet network.

bill