$SERVICENOTIFICATIONID$ - Bug/issue in 3.0.6 ?

Seth P. Low low at modog.com
Fri Feb 20 14:40:04 CET 2009

Hello,
      I am attempting to use the $SERVICENOTIFICATIONID$ macro in notifications as part of new auditing initiative. However, in Nagios 3.0.6, it is not behaving as expected. If I trip an alert, I get a notification with the $SERVICENOTIFICATIONID$ included in the body. The next alert to come in (say the recovery) is not incremented by one as I would have expected. I have checked the logs and this was the next notification sent out so it is not as if some other notifications were sent out to other users which I missed. I did see several state changes which would account for the numeric delta but none of those triggered an alert/notification. So, in a way, it appears as if the $SERVICENOTIFICATIONID$ macro is behaving much more like the $SERVICEEVENTID$ macro. Either this is a bug or I am mi
 sunderstanding the macro definition or I am doing something incorrectly. Can anyone else confirm either the correct or incorrect behavior in 3.0.6 or explain what I am missing here? Thanks as always, -Seth