Using SLES10 and Nagios 3.x under VMWare

Christian Schneemann cschneemann at suse.de
Thu Feb 19 15:17:00 CET 2009

On Thursday February 19 2009 02:30:29 pm Deborah Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've never used SLES10 + Nagios 3.x as a VM Ware box and I wondered if any
> of you had come
> across any issues that I should be aware of. (A new environment is being
> built in this way to replace
> an old PC running nagios)
>
> Basically, the nagios 3.x setup is very simple. We use it to monitor
> database activity such as
> RAM or disk usage amongst others using plugins that I wrote.
>
> Nagios monitors a few other nodes using ping or ssh but other than that
> it's not a complicated setup.
>
> Any feedback / advice on running Nagios within VM Ware would be really
> useful.
>
> thanks,
> deborah
Hi,
we've used an vmware image for testing our config and new nagios packages and
everything went fine. We now changed to xen guests because I prefer xen ;)

I see no problems with running nagios in a virtual machine.

Do you use the official packages from SLES or the ones from buildservice? Or
do you install nagios from sources?

Greetings,
	Christian

--
Christian Schneemann

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH,
Maxfeldstr. 5, D - 90409 Nürnberg

Phone:  +49 (0)911 - 740 53 0
e-mail: cschneemann at suse.de
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex
HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)