check_time giving error

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Feb 19 14:45:44 CET 2009

On Feb 19, 2009, at 5:52 AM, Darryl Nortje wrote:

> “Connection refused
> TIME UNKNOWN - could not connect to server serverY, port 37”
>
> I’m helluva new to nagios, and just can’t seem to get over this
> little hurdle.
>
> Do I have to have some special setup on serverY?

yes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIME_protocol

> How do I know which ports to use?

:37 is used by the (old) TIME protocol.

> Thanks in advance for the help, hopefully this is as simple as it
> sounds to solve.

Note that this will only test the difference between the clocks on the
nagios host and the host you're checking. It won't tell you if either
are actually correct. You should ensure that at the least, your nagios
host is correctly synchronizing time with an NTP server (check_ntp can
help with verifying that).

--
Marc