So its running how I like it

Wed Feb 18 02:33:35 CET 2009

There are several ways, depending on exactly what you want to accomplish
and why you want to do it.

Ultimately, think about what makes a Nagios server run perfectly.
Primarily, it's the configuration files, probably in /etc/nagios, right?
So you would want to tar those up to start with. You may have added some
of your own plugins. Don't forget any scripts that you may have created.
Any customized icons, graphics, etc. Don't forget the Apache
configuration changes and any Apache modules you may need. And remember
any user names that you may have created for nagios to run under.

Once you have all the various customizations that you did to accomplish
where you are now, you have several options:

The closest to what you are asking for is probably to simply put all the
customizations into a tar file (or similar). When you need to install
afresh, simply install your choice of operating system. Then untar the
nagios file you prepared earlier, and everything *should* be back in
place (with the possible exception of file ownerships and permissions).
Theory being what it is, you will probably have to do a little bit of
touchup.

Another possibility is to create a live CD. In that case, Linux never
gets installed, it runs right off the CD. Of course status changes, as
well as some configuration information (such as IP address) has to be on
a hard disk or memory stick. You can make as many copies of it as you need.

Or you could virtualize your Nagios server. That is what I did. Moving
or copying Nagios to another server is as simple as copying a directory
with about ten files (a couple GB of data, so it does take a little
while). Copying will obviously also mean a few configuration changes.

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.